Monday, October 13, 2008

Happy Birthday Chris Carter!

Best wishes to writer, producer, director Chris Carter! I'd heard you weren't feeling well recently, so I hope you're doing much better!

Too often folks are all about "what have you done lately?" and fail to fully appreciate what people have done. You gave us the gift of a lifetime fifteen(!) years ago and I, for one, am not sure I could ever thank you enough. The X-Files is not just one of the best series to ever air on TV, but one of the most important. Although it ended in 2001, the effects are still easy to see to this day. Without The X-Files, I seriously doubt we would have any of the following current shows: Fringe, The Mentalist, My Own Worst Enemy, Eleventh Hour, Smallville, Supernatural, Ghost Whisperer, Lost, Heroes, and even CSI. It would take much too long to list all the movies that have been influenced by the series. And your contribution to the filmmaking industry in Vancouver cannot be overstated. They should build a statue in your honor (as opposed to a framed certificate).

I know it was generally not well-received this summer, but I enjoyed The X-Files: I Want to Believe movie much to my surprise. Despite my love for the series, I was not very excited going to see the film. Seeing it made me remember how good the show was. I'm almost embarrassed that I'd had forgotten!

If I could give Chris Carter any gift, it would be full freedom to create the biggest and best X-Files event for December 2012. According the the series (and the Mayans), that is when all hell will break loose! I would love to see the franchise build up to that and then go out in apocalyptic glory! It can happen - I want to believe!

Top photo is from avclub.com.

No comments: