Monday, October 6, 2008

Déjà Vu All Over Again

It was nearly one year ago that the BoSox advanced to the ALCS while the Cubbies were swept out of the playoffs. The opponents are different this year, but the results were the same.

While I am very sure the Dodgers will easily beat the Phillies in the NLCS, I am less certain the BoSox will make it past the Rays. Tampa is a tough team and had the Sox number all season long. But that is not my biggest fear...

Last night as I watched the Angels win Game #3 in extra innings, it occurred to me that I was not worried. That I believed the Sox would take care of business tonight (which they did). Having such confidence in my team is unusual. I would have never felt that way pre-2004. In fact, I would have saw the Sox blow it in extra innings and cried out, "It's over! We're done!" It is easy to recall these feelings because I am still experiencing them when I watch the Cubs. But no longer with the BoSox. What a difference two World Championships makes.

But this is the first time I'm feeling such confidence post-Manny. It is easy to feel sure about your chances of winning when you have one of the best hitters to ever play the game in your lineup. Now that he is part of Red Sox Nation no longer, we have to prove that we can be the Champions without him. And we just may have to beat his new team to do so. My biggest fear is that we will not rise to challenge and have the shadow of Man-Ram hanging over the Green Monster for years to come. We just removed one curse from this team. We sure don't need another!

No comments: