Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A More Perfect (State of the) Union



Senator Obama's "A More Perfect Union" speech today in Philadelphia was one of the finest political moments I have ever been witness to (albeit indirectly - much thanks to YouTube!). It was courageously honest, well-presented, strategically sound, eloquent, and inspiring. And by no means necessary. Too many times I have seen political candidates try to sweep embarrassing associates or past failures under the rug. Simple denial. It has become much to commonplace. When the Reverend Wright videos began to pop up everywhere last week, I thought that Obama would perform the norm for today's politicians - denounce and dodge. But he did not. This afternoon, he met the race issue head on and spoke frankly, which was a refreshing change.

There have not been too many political figures in my lifetime that have inspired trust. Ever since I can remember, I've leaned to the left, despite growing up in a relatively conservative household. I was not even in first grade when Watergate broke and maybe on some level it severed my faith in government. Perhaps since I was born and raised in Massachusetts, I was as destined to be a Democrat as I am a proud member of Red Sox Nation. Or could it be my love for Star Trek and a future full of infinite diversity in infinite combinations? Whatever the reason, I have often been referred to by others as the most liberal person they know. So it is to no one's surprise that I've been in Barack Obama's corner since day 1. But what continues to surprise me is how much Obama is proving to be a candidate worthy of my support. He's not the perfect nominee by any means, but he has already given me something I have never before been given by any governmental figure in my lifetime - hope.

This time, it is not just a town in Arkansas.

No comments: