Sunday, May 3, 2009

Movie Review - X-Men Origins: Wolverine


I don't think it is a surprise to anyone familiar with the X-Men franchise that Wolverine would eventually star in a solo movie. The popularity of the character plus the popularity of Hugh Jackman seemed to equal a license to print money. And it also no surprise that the film's opening generated an estimated $87 million.

However, it was a bit of a surprise to me when it was initially announced that the Wolverine movie would be a prequel. It just blows my mind that studio heads continue to ignore the fact that prequels are NEVER as or more successful than the originals. EVER! I mean there's been some cases that prove that a sequel can surpass the start of a franchise. Reboots can also be rewarding. But prequels? They can give you a little bit of bank, but usually they are sign of a failing franchise.

And yet, 20th Century Fox decided to give us X-Men Origins: Wolverine. The very premise gave me low expectations going in to the theater. Throughout the movie, I continued to scratch my head as to why TPTB decided to give us Logan's life story before he joined up with Professor X. I was entertained, but only just so. Despite more than a few plot holes and other craziness, I did enjoy the two hour experience. Though I doubt I'll watch it again.

If you would like to see my spoiler-filled thoughts, check out my post at the Legend Lounge.

For comparison sake, I say that this movie is not nearly as good as the first two X-Men films, but much better than the third one. I hope it does well enough for a sequel - but this time a real Wolverine solo adventure and not a prequel to the first X-Men films.

No comments: