Saturday, May 9, 2009

Movie Review - Star Trek


A couple of years ago, the Star Trek franchise was at an all-time low. After the mediocre series Voyager was followed by the less than mediocre series Enterprise and the film series was reeling from the one-two punch that was Insurrection and Nemesis, many fans - die hard and casual alike - felt that the last few nails were being hammered into the coffin. Perhaps the concept had run its course. At the very least it should be placed on the shelf for a while.

I was not one of those people.

Others, including J. Michael Straczynski, felt the series needed a reboot - to go back to the success that was the original series.

I was not one of those people.

After watching Star Trek today, I am pleased to report that I have been proved wrong on both counts. This movie rocks!

One thing I have always insisted is that if the right people were put in place and the studio backed them up financially, it would pay off. I never believed that folks were tired of Trek. Rather, they were just tired of bad Trek. And there is so much more good about this movie than bad.

To read my spoiler-filled review, see my post at the Legend Lounge.

Bottom line is I loved this movie! So much so I saw it twice in one day and will probably see it a couple more times in the next few weeks. It is so wonderful to have Trek back again! May it live long and prosper!

2 comments:

Coffee Nomad said...

who knew Eric Bana was a "Trekkie"? He did a great job as the villain though seriously

NewLegendMike said...

Howdy!

I liked Bana, though I do wish the character of Nero was developed more in the film. To find out more about Nero, I definitely recommend reading the prequel comic, Star Trek: Countdown.