Thursday, August 26, 2010

Wizard World Chicago Comic Con 2010 - Holy John Hancock Batman!

Let's step in the Wayback Machine and travel some 30 years ago to a car show in New England. The exact date and place escape me, but I'll never forget the time I met the Dynamic Duo, er at least one of them. Both Adam West and Burt Ward appeared at the show and my parents had driven me and my sister to see them. I meant to impress them with a drawing of the two, but I only managed to have time enough to sketch Batman. I figured I'd add Robin to the picture after the signing. Turns out there was no need. Just as I approached them at the signing table, Burt excused himself to use the little Boy Wonder's room. They had to keep the line moving, so I only got Adam's signature. Upside down. On a picture he barely looked at. Below are some Poloroids of the event courtesy of my mother:


Despite being a bit disappointed, I was not bitter. I did not raise my tiny little fist to the air and cry vengeance on Burt Ward. In fact, I was amused. Especially since during the whole incident, my father had been in the restroom and was he ever surprised to see a masked superhero suddenly enter and take care of business! I had always figured that one day I would be able to get Burt Ward's autograph. A few years ago, Ward retired from public appearances. Then I jokingly referred to him as "the one that got away."

So, you can imagine my surpise and excitement when it was announced the Burt Ward would be joining Adam West and Julie Newmar at this year's Wizard World Chicago Comic Con! I had been planning all year to attend this show for the fourth year in a row, and almost went to C2E2 earlier in the year instead. After over 30 years, I am glad to say that I finally got the chance to meet Burt Ward and I'm even more pleased to say that he's a great guy. We had a good laugh over the story! Yes, I did have to pay for the signature, and I'm sure it was more expensive than it cost to take the entire family to the auto show back in the day, but it was well worth the price and the wait. Besides, I figure the monies are going to a worthy cause as Ward is the founder of the Gentle Giants Rescue organization. And I even got Adam West's signature (again) with a Bat-fist-bump from the man himself!

No comments: