Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Countdown to Halloween Spooky Books - Hellboy


Mike Mignola's Hellboy is one of the best creator-owned characters to be unleashed upon the world in the last two decades. I have been reading since issue #1 (though I have stopped getting the single issues and now collect the trades). He's a supernatural superhero and the world that Mignola has created is as rich in characters as it is in shadows. The perfect blend of heroic action pulp and Lovecraftian horror. And always presented with the best art in the business.

Next year will be his 20th anniversary (man, I'm getting old!) and I'm eager to see Mignola's plans for the red-horned hero. Since I'm reading the collected editions, I am not current with the series. I hear Hellboy died recently, but when has that stopped a comic character?

No comments: