Saturday, October 20, 2012

Countdown to Halloween Spooky Books - Dear Dracula


Dear Dracula is a children's book with an eerie twist. It is about a young boy who wants to become a vampire, so he writes a letter to the most famous one of all to make his dreams come true. It is written and drawn in a style perfectly appropriate for ages 6 and up. Perhaps it is because I read this with adult eyes that I thought the kid's desire to be a creature of the night a little disturbing. Nevertheless, the story is deftly handled and the ending made me grin like a jack-o-lantern!

I also recently saw the animated movie of Dear Dracula. Though it is similar in premise, it appears the filmmakers thought Sam's wish to be a little too morbid, so they made some changes. While it is not a bad adaptation, I recommend reading the original.

No comments: