Saturday, November 1, 2008

Vintage Hitchcock: A Live Radio Play


I love the works of Alfred Hitchcock. I love radio dramas (even had a hand in writing one). So when I found out about Vintage Hitchcock: A Live Radio Play at the Legacy Theatre, the only question was when I could get myself down to Tyrone to see it. Oddly enough, living in the Atlanta area has been pretty good for a Hitchcock fan. I've gotten the opportunity to see quite a few of his films on the big screen, including the restored version of Vertigo, Dial M for Murder in 3D, and two shorts he directed for the Ministry of Information during WWII, "Bon Voyage" and "Aventure Malgache." And now the world premiere of a live performance of a radio drama based on three of Hitch's early films - The Lodger, The Lady Vanishes and The 39 Steps! Too cool for school! Writer Joe Landry is no stranger to the concept as his similar adaptation of It's a Wonderful Life was named among the top ten most produced plays by American Theatre magazine. Hopefully, this play too will be staged all around the country. Watching actors portraying folks performing a radio drama is a unique experience and you can easily tell that it was a labor of love for all involved. Landry sure knows his stuff! There are lots of references to Hitchcock films scattered throughout the play. Unfortunately, the final curtain comes down on the show tomorrow in this area, but I expect it'll be added to more than a few season programs nationwide for years to come.

Seeing this play has renewed my love for Hitchcock films and driving home I realized that it has been quite a while since I've rewatched one of his films. However, I've been toying with the idea of adding a weekly dose of Hitchcock to my schedule. Since he directed over 50 films and television episodes, it should be easy to find enough material to see something different each week for a whole year. Sounds like something that would be cool to blog about. Stay tuned...

No comments: