Saturday, October 25, 2008

Monster Mike's Mini Marathon

For the last few years, I have followed a tradition of watching scary movies on Halloween night. Not just any scary movies, though. "Classic" scary movies. No J-horror, Saw sequels nor remakes for me. Give me the oldies but goodies! Turner Classic Movies is a great source to find some of the best, though until this year I only had time for one film since Halloween was on a week night (last year's was White Zombie). This year, I should be able to host a mini-marathon and looking at TCM's schedule I have decided on three (which I will record and watch Friday night).

This year's Monster Mike's Mini Marathon will be:

Vampyr (1932) German classic frequently overshadowed by Nosferatu. Based on Sheridan Le Fanu's haunting story "Carmilla."

Mark of the Vampire (1935) Director Tod Browning and Bela Lugosi attempt to recapture the spooky magic of 1931's Dracula costarring Lionel Barrymore and Carroll Borland (who plays one of the silver screen's first female vampires).

Die, Monster, Die! (1965) Roger Corman produced the first credited film adaptation of a story by H.P. Lovecraft. Starring Boris Karloff.

And of course, I'll be watching all of these with the lights out!

No comments: