Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Congratulations Kristi!


Congratulations to Kristi Yamaguchi for winning this season's Dancing with the Stars! And she didn't just win the trophy, she dominated the floor with nearly flawless routines since week one.

I'm not sure it helps or hurts my "geek cred" and my "machismo" admitting I watch Dancing with the Stars, but I don't care. I've always enjoyed watching female athletic events such as tennis, skating, and Olympic events. I watch more than my share of baseball, football, and pro wrestling to balance it out. And I had a personal interest in watching celebrities take to the ballroom this season.

Back in 1992, I had the pleasure of working security on a practice rink for the U.S. Figure Skating Championship in Orlando, FL. It was there I first saw what Kristi Yamaguchi could do on the ice, and I've been a big fan of hers ever since. I was disappointed that she went pro soon after getting Olympic gold (I maintain that she could have had herself another gold medal and it would have saved us all from the "Tanya Harding incident"). I have missed seeing her compete on any level, so it was very nice to see her appear week after week executing challenging athletic moves and entertaining the crowd. So difficult to do, but she makes it look effortless.

Now that Kristi has won the Mirror Ball trophy, I do not know what her next move will be, but she says she won't stop dancing. Be it on the ice, the dance floor, or wherever, I look forward to seeing her perform in her next endeavor.

No comments: